Conchas or Pan Dulces
This recipe is originally from :https://www.acozykitchen.com/?s=conchashttps://www.acozykitchen.com/?s=conchas. I made minor modifications here.
- 2 parchment-lined sheet pans
- parchment paper
- rolling pin
- 3 inch cookie cutter
- 5 g instant yeast (1.75 tsp)
- 113 g unsalted butter, melted 1 stick
- 12 g vegetable oil 1 Tbsp
- 66 g sugar ⅓ cup
- 225 g whole milk, room temp scant cup
- 12 g kosher salt 2 tsp
- 8.5 g vanilla extract 2 tsp
- 2 eggs room temp
- 5 g ground cinnamon 2 tsp
- 568 g AP flour 4 cups
- 113 g unsalted butter, room temp 1 stick
- 172 g sugar ⅔ cup
- 142 g AP flour 1 cup
- 4 g vanilla extract 1 tsp
- 10.5 g cocoa powder 2 Tbsp
- 2 drops food color gel
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook add the butter, oil, sugar, milk, salt, vanilla, cinnamon and lightly beaten eggs. MIx for a minute.
- Add the flour and yeast and mix on low for one minute until the ingredients are combined then increase to medium speed and mix for 5 minutes. Dough should clear the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough to a large lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill overnight.
- Mix butter, sugar, flour and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth.
- Divide into two portions. Add cocoa to one and food color to another.
- Roll out topping between 2 sheets of parchment paper to about 1/16" and chill for an hour until firm or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts about 80g each. Tuck the edges underneath to form a tight ball then roll in your palm on an unfloured surface to create a tighter ball. Place on the parchment-lined sheet pans.
- Cut circles with a 3' cookie cutter and place on the dough balls, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Cut designs with a knife as desired, cutting all the way through the topping but not the dough.
- Rest at room temp for 30 minutes covered with a tea towel.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until bottoms are lightly golden.
- Eat as soon as they are cool enough that they won't burn your mouth!