- deep fryer or deep frying pan like a cast iron pan
- 20 oz mild Italian sausage casing removed
- 1 handful fresh chives chopped
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp spicy or English mustard
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup AP flour for dusting, more or less
- 150 g panko or plain bread crumbs, more or less
- 2 liters canola oil for frying enough to fill pan 2 inches high
- Heat the oil in a deep pan to 350°F
- In a mixing bowl, combine herbs with sausage meat, nutmeg, the mustard and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Mix together then divide into 6 balls.
- Have 2 plates ready – one with the flour, one with the panko. Beat remaining 2 eggs in a bowl.
- Flour your hands, then in the palm of one hand, flatten one of the sausage balls into a rectangle.
- Roll a hardboiled egg in the flour then shape the sausage patty around the egg to completely encase it.
- Dip the sausage encased egg in the beaten eggs, then roll in the flour and then the panko.
- Fry the Scotch eggs for about 3½ minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels
- Serve with more mustard and pickles.