What a time we had trying to figure out what my son wanted for his third birthday cake. We would ask him whether he wanted a minion cake or a Thomas cake or another Mickey mouse cake and he would just say yes to everything. We finally settled on a minion cake and, of course, I could not be satisfied with a sitting minion — he had to stand.
There’s a great tutorial and video on howtocookthat.net and you should watch it a few times if you want to make a standing minion cake. But there are a few things I would do differently:
DH stained a piece of wood for me for the base. The tutorial said to use a 15 cm (6 inch) board for the middle and a 7 cm (3 inch) board for the bottom and drill through both into the wood base. 1) That 3″ board is pretty tiny for the base and it’s going to be a little tricky when you start stacking and carving. I used a 3.5″ board for the bottom but you could use a 4″ board and still get a nice shape to the minion. 2) Also you have to trim the middle board slightly smaller than 6″ so that it doesn’t stick out beyond your cakes. I used 1/2″ foam core for the bottom and a regular cake board for the middle.
After DH drilled the holes through the cake boards and the wood board he put the 1/4″ dowels in the holes. You do not need to glue them in if the holes fit the dowels perfectly. As always, there would be no cakes at all if not for DH. When he is not building cake structures he is constantly encouraging me.
3) Instead of using an extra pair of dowels like the tutorial instructed I used plastic dowel rods to be the legs and give extra support.
DH filled the dowels with hot glue to keep them in place.
The foam core sits on the plastic dowel rods.
I ended up using three 6″ x 2″ cakes, one 6″ x 1″ cake and a 6.25″ half sphere cake to get the final height I wanted. I had printed out a picture of a minion in the actual size I wanted to help determine the number of cakes I needed to achieve it. I then carved it at the base and ganached it. It sat overnight.
4) I had a tricky time with the arms. I tried to do as Anne Reardon suggested by sticking a toothpick in each side with a ball of fondant. But the toothpicks sagged and fell out. Instead I stuck one long skewer through the cake where the arms should be but making sure it was just above the middle cake board. The skewer just stuck out on each side. I then rolled out the arms and attached them to the skewers with some melted white chocolate. I used sugar glue to attach them to the sides of his body and rested the arms on some supports while they dried.
For some reason little man insisted that the minion have a screwdriver.
All in all it was a success and held together perfectly despite how precarious it appeared.