Sourdough Discard Biscuits
Make use of your sourdough discard with these fluffy, buttery biscuits!
- 2½" round fluted cutter
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 188 g AP flour 1⅓ cup plus more for dusting
- 130 g unsalted butter cut into ½" cubes and chilled + 2 Tbsp (melted)for brushing tops
- 270 g sourdough discard
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt , sugar and the flour with a fork.
- Add chilled butter and toss into the flour mixture with your fingers. Pick up pieces of coated butter between your fingertips and flatten them, creating shingles of butter. Continue to do this until all the butter pieces have been flattened. You will have a mix of big pieces and pea-sized pieces.
- Add sourdough starter and mix gently with the fork. Fold the mixture over each other (rather than kneading) until you get a rough dough then dump out on a heavily floured counter.
- Pat out into a rectangle shape ½" thick. Step 1: with one of the short sides facing you fold top third down over middle third and then bottom third up to cover the middle like you are folding a letter. Step 2: turn 90° and repeat the folding. Turn 90° again, pat into a rectangle ½" thick again and repeat steps 1 and 2 above.
- Pat into a 1" square this time. Flour the fluted cutter well. Cut straight down and pull straight up (rather than twisting the cutter) to cut out biscuits. Place 1" apart on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Gently push scraps together and then fold once to get a 1" thick piece again and cut out remaining biscuits.
- Brush tops only with melted butter.
- Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes then lower the heat to 425°F and bake for 3-5 more minutes or until tops are golden.
Adapted from Epicurious “Sourdough Biscuits”