Lazarakia (Lazarus Buns)
Servings: 20 buns
- 400 g lukewarm water
- 8.5 g active dry yeast 1 Tbsp
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 50 g olive oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp salt
- 800 g AP flour
- 100 g raisins
- 100 g coarsely chopped walnuts
- 40 whole cloves
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine water, yeast and sugar. Let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, spices (except for whole cloves), salt and flour.
- Mix with the dough hook on low until combined and then mix for about 5 -6 minutes or until you get a smooth, elastic dough.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (conventional). Line 2 pans with parchment paper.
- Cover the bowl and let rest for 30 minutes at room temp.
- Combine walnuts and raisins in a medium bowl.
- Scale the dough into 20 pieces each weighing 50 grams and 20 pieces each weighing 10 grams.
- Roll out a 20g piece of dough for the body into an oval and fill with a heaping teaspoon of filling. Fold in the short edges and then the long edges and pinch to seal. Roll briefly to form an oval shape.
- Roll the 10 piece of dough into a long rope and crossover to the back and then bring again to the front and press down to seal.
- Insert 2 whole cloves for eyes. Lay on pan and repeat with remaining pieces.
- Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately brush with glaze and let cool to room temp.