Goulash bil Sibanikh (Phyllo Spinach Pies)
- 6 oz feta cheese preferably Bulgarian
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 10 oz frozen spinach thawed and completely drained
- 16 oz phyllo dough
- ½ cup butter unsalted, melted with oil
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cheeses, egg and spinach with a fork or a potato masher. Set aside.
- Combine butter and oil in a small bowl.
- Lay two sheets of phyllo dough in a baking sheet (choose a baking sheet that most closely fits the size of the phyllo dough sheets you will be using).
- Drizzle lightly with butter and oil mixture. Continue layering and drizzling in this manner until you have used half the sheets.
- Spread spinach mixture evenly over the dough. Continue layering and drizzling remaining phyllo dough sheets.
- Score the pastry into 2"x2" squares or any size you desire.
- Pour remaining butter/oil mixture over entire dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until very evenly golden on top.
- Let rest for about 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Variations: Appetizer size: Take 2 sheets of phyllo dough, cut in half lengthwise. Drizzle with butter/oil mixture. Put a tablespoon size of filling at the end closest to you on one set of strips. Fold up in a triangle like a flag. Repeat with remaining strips and arrange next to each other on a baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining butter/oil mixture and bake as above. Vegan filling: spinach as above, 1/4 chopped curly parsley, 1 medium onion finely diced, 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp sumac, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp salt. Mix and fill phyllo dough as above but use only oil.