Egyptian Black-Eyed Peas
Instant Pot or Stovetop
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ea onion, chopped
- 1¼ cup dry black-eyed peas
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 3½ cups vegetable broth or water see notes for stovetop modifications
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Turn the instant pot on to the sauté function. Add oil when hot and sauté onions until translucent.
- Mix tomato paste into the broth or water and add to instant pot. Stir in the dry beans, salt and pepper.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot. Set the steam release valve to the sealing position.
- Set the instant pot to "manual" on "high" for 17 minutes.
- Allow natural release for 15 minutes then vent to release remaining pressure.
- Serve alone or with rice.
For stovetop: Reduce initial quantity of water or broth to 2 1/2 cups , adding more as needed during cooking In a small saucepan sauté onions in oil until tender. Add tomato paste mixture as above along with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and and stir in black-eyed peas. Cover and simmer over medium heat for one hour or until black-eyed peas are tender.