Egyptian Petit Fours Cookies
from St. Mary and St. Demiana Convent, Dawsonville, GA
Servings: 16 dozen (depending on size)
- Cookie press
- Cookie pans lightly greased with clarified butter
- 453 g clarified butter or ghee 2 cups
- 120 g powdered sugar 1 cup
- 2 large eggs room temp
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 560 g AP flour 4 cups
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Cream clarified butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater or with a hand mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time and then vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add flour and fold in until combined.
- Divide dough in half and add cocoa powder to one half of the dough. Mix well.
- Wrap each half with plastic wrap and chill for ½ hour.
- Use a cookie press to make cookies in different shapes.
- Arrange on lightly greased cookie sheets (do not line with parchment or silicone) and bake at 350°F for 10-11 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden around the edges. Cool completely before decorating.
You can also add 1-2 Tbsp of finely ground pistachios (plus a couple of drops of green coloring if you wish) to half the dough for a different flavor. Do not line pans with parchment because the cookies won’t stick as they come out of the cookie press. You can decorate by dipping the cookies in melted chocolate then coating with sprinkles or sandwiching them together with apricot jam. Will keep at room temperature for at least 2 weeks.