Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Servings: 4 cups
- 10 oz egg whites
- 20 oz sugar
- 24 oz unsalted butter at room temp but not soft
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract or other flavoring
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, lightly whisk egg whites and sugar together over simmering water until the sugar crystals are completely dissolved and a candy thermometer reads 140°F.
- Place the egg-sugar syrup into mixer and whip on high with the whisk attachment until the bowl has cooled to almost room temperature (about 15 minutes). Cut up butter into tablespoon-sized pieces.
- Turn mixer down to lowest setting and begin adding the butter pieces a few at a time over a minute or two until all the butter is added. Turn mixer up to medium-low speed and incorporate all the butter for a few minutes. Take off whisk attachment, scrape bowl and put on paddle attachment. Continue to mix at medium high speed for another five minutes or until mixture emulsifies into a soft, smooth buttercream.
- Add vanilla and mix for another few minutes until incorporated.
Optional flavorings to be added with vanilla extract or in place of it: 1/2 cup raspberry puree 1 c. lemon curd 3 Tbsp instant espresso powder mixed with 3 Tbsp warm water 8 oz melted and cooled chocolate 8 oz softened cream cheese Add 8-10 oz peanut butter (according to your taste). 4-6 oz Nutella (Nutella adds a lot of fat so if I add too much of it I find that my SMBC is too soft to work with). 8-10 oz room temperature caramel sauce. 1/2 cup honey.