Almas Pité (Hungarian Apple Slab Pie)
Servings: 12 pieces
- 9"x12" baking sheet lined with parchment
- 500 g AP flour
- 250 g butter ½"dice, chilled
- 150 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 kg baking apples such as honeycrisp peeled, cored, grated
- 100 g chopped walnuts
- 150 g sugar
- 1 ea lemon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For egg wash
- 1 large egg
- Mix the flour with the baking powder in the bowl of a stand mixer and add the chilled butter cubes. Mix slowly with the paddle attachment until it reaches the texture of coarse bread crumbs. Add the sugar and vanilla. Beat eggs in a small bowl and slowly add to the mixture until the dough just begins to come together. When pressed between your fingers it should clump although it might still look shaggy. You might not need to add all the eggs. Divide into 2 pieces, one about 40g larger than the other, wrap in plastic and chill for one hour.
- Combine the grated apple, sugar, the juice and zest of the lemon and ground cinnamon in a bowl and allow to macerate for 10 minutes. Drain the liquid, squeezing it dry.
- Roll out larger piece of dough about 5 mm thick on a heavily floured surface. Line the base of the prepared sheet pan, coming up the sides slightly
- Sprinkle with the ground walnuts, then distribute the apple filling evenly over it. Roll out the over piece of dough to 5mm and cover the pie. Crimp the edges with a fork
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (convection if you have it).
- Smear the top of the apple pie with the beaten egg then chill for 10 minutes. Make grid marks with a fork or decorating tool of your choice.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Can be stored at room temp for 3 days. Serve warm or at room temp