Adapted from Saveur
- 260 g khoya
- 500 g sugar
- ⅛ tsp. saffron
- 1 tsp rosewater
- 8 cardamom pods cracked
- 35 g AP flour
- 45 g semolina flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp ghee or clarified butter
- 1 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- Ghee or canola oil for frying you can also use vegetable oil
- In a medium saucepan bring sugar, saffron, rosewater, cardamom pods and 420ml water to a boil. Stir until sugar dissolves then continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine khoya, the flours and baking powder in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle and mix. Add ghee, yogurt and egg and continue to beat until dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Bring 2" of ghee or oil to 275°F in a deep fryer or dutch oven. Using wet hands, divide dough into 16 pieces (about 27g each) and roll into balls.
- Fry for about 12 minutes or until deep golden brown on all sides. Remove with slotted spoon and transfer to cooled syrup. Let soak for 30 minutes before serving. Best eaten same day