- 1 pkg unflavored gelatin 1 Tbsp
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 cups heavy cream 454 g
- 1 cup half and half 227 g
- ⅓ cup sugar 67g
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract good quality
- In a very small saucepan sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand for one minute to be absorbed. It is important not to dump all the gelatin into the water but rather to sprinkle uniformly over the surface. Heat gelatin mixture over low heat until gelatin is dissolved and in liquid form again.
- In a large saucepan bring cream, half and half and sugar just to a boil over medium heat, stirring. Remove pan from heat and and stir in gelatin mixture (it may need to be rewarmed slightly if it has started to harden) and vanilla extract.
- Divide mixture into 6 ramekins, cool to room temperature and then chill, covered in saran wrap for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Dip bases of ramekins into hot water bath for about 5 seconds then run a dull knife around the edges to loosen. Invert each ramekin onto a serving plate.
- Panna cotta is the perfect blank canvas for your favorite garnishes. Use fresh fruit for a quick dessert or, as in my case, an orange syrup with cacao nibs.