- 1 cup unsalted butter 227 g
- 1 cup AP flour 142 g
- 5½ cups whole milk
- 1½ tsp salt divided
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 16 oz rigatoni cooked al dente
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ tsp allspice ground
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup parmesan grated, divided
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Melt butter over medium heat then add flour. Continue to stir until the roux is slightly golden and thicker (2-3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and gradually add milk while stirring.
- Return to low -medium heat and stir continuously until thickened and coats the back of a spoon (10-15 minutes).
- Remove from heat, season with ½ tsp salt and white pepper and let cool to room temp.
- Heat oil over medium heat and add onions. Saute until onions are soft and translucent but not golden.
- Add ground beef, allspice, remaining salt and black pepper. Break up the beef and continue stirring until browned. Add tomato paste and just heat through. Remove from heat.
Finishing the sauce and pasta
- Stir a ½ cup of the béchamel sauce into the pasta. Beat 4 of the eggs and stir into the béchamel sauce. Beat the 2 remaining eggs and stir into the pasta.
- Stir ½ cup of the parmesan into the bechamel sauce and ¼ cup into the pasta.
- Arrange ½ of the pasta in the bottom of the casserole dish – one layer of pasta only.
- Spread the meat sauce evenly on top.
- Arrange the other ½ half of the pasta on top of the meat sauce.
- Pour the béchamel sauce evenly over the top of the dish and allow it to settle for a minute.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top
- Bake about 45 minutes to an hour or until bubbly and golden on top.
- Allow it to cool for 30 minutes before serving to make it easier to cut into squares.
You can also refrigerate the dish overnight after assembly Just cover it with foil or saran wrap and when you are ready to bake it take it out and let it come to room temperature (about an hour) before baking.